While the kids are on summer break I wanted them to participate in a summer reading program. This would keep them, and me, motivated to keep on reading! We went to the Library last week and were a little disappointed in the selection of programs they offered. Maddie and Sam were of course involved in different age groups which met the same day 4 hours apart and both were during nap times. I guess this is when juggling three kids gets a little difficult.....
So yesterday we started our own reading program! The kids cut out 100 pieces of paper. When Maddie reads a book she gets to write the name on a paper and attach it to her paper chain. When we read a book to Sam he gets to do the same. When they get done with 100 they get to go to the Children's Museum here. So far they are very motivated and love adding links to their chain. (Sam also saved a lot of money and went to Target this weekend and purchased a Red Light Saber which he wanted to be in the picture. after I snapped the shot he said "do you think they could see my light saber?" oh boys!)
So yesterday we started our own reading program! The kids cut out 100 pieces of paper. When Maddie reads a book she gets to write the name on a paper and attach it to her paper chain. When we read a book to Sam he gets to do the same. When they get done with 100 they get to go to the Children's Museum here. So far they are very motivated and love adding links to their chain. (Sam also saved a lot of money and went to Target this weekend and purchased a Red Light Saber which he wanted to be in the picture. after I snapped the shot he said "do you think they could see my light saber?" oh boys!)Sam had an interesting quote while discussing the ends and out of the reading program....
Sam: Mommy I will just read the books myself!
Me: Sam, you can't read
Sam: So are you going to have to help me?
Me: Yes, Me and Daddy will help you.
Sam: Well I guess that's what this whole reading program is about, people helping other people!
Me: Well I guess so!
We will keep you posted on our progress!
2 comments:
I love everything about this post. And it's an awesome light saber, Sam. :-)
This is great to have your own "reading club" - Having fun while learning is a clever "trick"!Mary, I hope you are saving all your conversations for the book you will write one day!! Love to all - G'ma
Post a Comment