When Troy and I bought out house there was a tiny orange tree planted in the yard. It never put on oranges until last year and we just had a few and they weren't very sweet. This year it has grown huge and we had a huge crop! It was fun letting the kids pick the oranges. We gave alot of them away and we have eaten alot of them, but I needed to do something with what was left so this past weekend we canned them.
When I read up on how to do it they said you could can them by just peeling and sectioning them, but I decided to cut the rind off and section them that way since my kids won't eat the white peel anyway. Then you just pack them into sterilized jars and cover them with a light syrup/ orange juice mixture that is warm on the stove.
Then they just go into a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and you remove them to cool. I was very excited that all the jars I did sealed! We put up 6 pints and 8 half pints. Now we are looking forward to having a yummy snack when oranges are out of season
When I read up on how to do it they said you could can them by just peeling and sectioning them, but I decided to cut the rind off and section them that way since my kids won't eat the white peel anyway. Then you just pack them into sterilized jars and cover them with a light syrup/ orange juice mixture that is warm on the stove.
Then they just go into a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and you remove them to cool. I was very excited that all the jars I did sealed! We put up 6 pints and 8 half pints. Now we are looking forward to having a yummy snack when oranges are out of season
2 comments:
Wow! That is so cool! I've never canned anything so I wouldn't know what I was doing. But I do remember watching my Grandma Cox doing it when I was a kid.
Happy they turned out so well! Look like "State Fair Entries" in the picture!! G'ma
Post a Comment