Our little garden is starting to produce! Sam and I love going out and gathering the produce and yesterday we decided to put up some icebox pickles with our abundance of cucumbers that unfortunately no one in the family likes in their raw state except me. Sam helped me prep by washing the cucumbers, green peppers and the jars. (Maddie would have helped too, but she was at a friends house.)
I have never done pickles before and all our cucumbers were different sizes so I decided to make chips and slice them on the mandolin to get a uniform size.
I have never done pickles before and all our cucumbers were different sizes so I decided to make chips and slice them on the mandolin to get a uniform size.Sam was once helping me slice potatoes on the mandolin (which I realize is a horrible idea) and he put his finger down and cut the end right off. It was a very horrifying experience for all involved. He gets a little anxious now when the mandolin comes out and he kept saying "I'm not going to help slice momma! Remember when I helped you slice and I cut my finger off?" Which of course I remember vividly so he definitely didn't help slice.

So back to this post...Sam also stirred up the recipe and loaded them into jars. They have to sit in the refrigerator 24 hours before we could try them so we are anxious to see how we did!

1 comment:
The pickles look great!! I did a lot of those in the past. I don't remember having such good help, though!! Great job, Sam! G'ma
Post a Comment