Last night Panama City hosted a wounded warrior salute honoring 25 soldiers who had been wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. A local couple who's son was injured in Iraq host this event and many of the local buisnesses take part. They get to come here at no cost. A local hotel and spa puts them up. A local car dealership provides them with rental cars. They get to go golfing and deep sea fishing. It really is a great way for our community to say thank you to these men and women who have sacrificed so much for our country. Yesterday's festivities started in the afternoon with a parade. Daddy took us to the parade and the kids had lots of fun showing their patriotism.
We live in a patriotic county and it was neat to see people just pulling off the road and getting out of their cars to show support of these heroes. The local chapter of POW/ MIA gave them a motorcycle escort.
After the parade we went to a park for a picnic supper with Daddy. It was perfect weather.

Then the kids and I went back to our church which was hosting a salute in the warriors and their caregivers honor. It was a pretty awesome display of patriotism that I'm glad the kids got to see. This is a bad picture, but the whole bottom floor of our sanctuary was full and many people were decked out in patriotic clothes and were waving American flags. Two of the warriors and their wives spoke and one couple was only 22. They said some things that I will probably never forget. The soldiers were in tears during their speeches and said that their greatest fear being a wounded soldier was to be forgotten for their service. Last night I was proud that I was part of this community that goes to great lengths to show these men that their service is not forgotten. These are the heroes that I want Maddie, Sam and Megan to look up to.



No comments:
Post a Comment