Sunday, September 7, 2008

Into Everything!

Maddie and Sam have spent this week getting into everything! These pictures are just a few examples. I didn't get a picture of the following story because it needed immediate action to correct, but I thought I would share it on the blog anyway (it is long, but pretty funny):
I have put on a few pounds over the summer and decided I was going to fight the bulge by getting on the treadmill. Now as anyone knows that has ever had children, it is a little difficult to make time for such a goal with 2 little ones running around especially when they both wake up around 6:15 and only one of them takes a nap, but I was determined. So I put Sam down for his nap on Monday and let Maddie pick a video to watch. I put on my running shoes and headed to the garage. When I got out to the garage I realized this was not going to be fun since it was about 100 degrees out there, but still the determination won over and I got on the treadmill. I was feeling pretty good 10 minutes into the workout when Maddie popped into the garage and wanted to know "what you doing?" I stopped the treadmill and explained to her that mommy need a little time so please watch your video. I restarted the treadmill and got back into the rhythm and was able to finish in 22 min. I was feeling great! When I got back into the house, I discovered that Maddie had been busy while I was busy and had dumped my salt shaker all over the couch, floor, rug and rocker. (She has recently developed a taste for salt, sugar and flour raw and we have been working on keeping her out of the pantry.) While I was getting this mess cleaned up, Sam woke up. So now I was nasty from working out and Troy wasn't coming home for about 3 hours. I decided to let the kids play upstairs while I took a quick shower. (of course I made sure all the doors were locked and set the house alarm) When I step out of the shower I heard some pretty horrific screams coming from upstairs. I ran upstairs and found Maddie and Sam in the upstairs bathroom. Sam was the one screaming because he had about half a bottle of hand soap smeared all over his head and face. His left eye was swollen shut and he had wet toilet paper stuck to his head. Maddie's hands were covered with hand soap, the toilet was full of soap bubbles, the plunger was wet and on the floor and an entire roll of toilet paper was wet and stuck everywhere. At first I couldn't tell what was going on, but Maddie explained the whole thing: "I'm just washing Sam's hair and I'm NOT the one in trouble because Sam unrolled the toilet paper!" Needless to say I didn't have time to take a photo since I had to wash the soap off Sam, give 2 baths and clean the bathroom. I thanked Maddie for being so willing to help, but let her know that in the future I will be in charge of Sam's hygien. I also took some time to teach a little bit about germ warfare here and the fact that toilet water is not the best cleaning agent. So I'm able to laugh about it now, but these few little pounds I have gained will just have to stay put or I'll have to lose them while I chase these 2 little monsters around because I do not see myself getting back on the treadmill anytime soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story says volumes about parenting. You can run full speed for 22 minutes but you can never really get away. You stop only to find out you have been on a treadmill. You ran for your life and then found out you have never left home. While you were gone on this fantasy vacation from reality, your problems have multiplied and your day has become material for Creative Memories scrapbooks and blogs. That is why God gives kids to young adults. Everyone over 40 is smiling with God. Just remember...it gets worse. While the Teimonsters were opening a beauty salon, my 20 year old son ran into the back of a taxi and my 4'8" daughter of 18 years did not make the volleyball team and now needs therapy. All I knew to do was run to the garage and get on the treadmill for 22 minutes at full speed. In my panic I almost broke a hip, and then came in the house and collapsed. While I sat on an icepack in my Lazyboy, I smiled with God and told Peg to put another page in the scrapbook.
Hugh

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Mary! That story had me laughing out loud! I have to say that if Garrett and Maddie were to ever get together, they could probably do some real damage. :) I'm not sure how much salt has been wasted in our house because Garrett gets his hands on a shaker while I run to the bathroom. I always swear that they're put up somewhere, but he still manages to get them. I just now realized that I could comment on your blog without having a blog of my own, so I will be commenting more often!

The Dunfords said...

I miss Maddie and Sam! :-) What a creative little rug-rat! Poor Sam, I bet he's thinking, "just you wait til I get bigger Maddie" Our life is just so boring without your family close by! :-)